Friday, April 12, 2013

Believing is seeing... (from April 9, 2012)

Happy Easter! What a beautiful cold, cloudy, and rainy day yesterday was!
We got to celebrate and share in the baptisms of 5 friends. As one of them told her story before going into the water, God whispered...no, that isn’t the right term. God shouted at me (that’s better) through her words.
Remember in John 14 when 5 Thomas said to Jesus, “Lord, we do not know where you are going; so how can we know the way to get there?”
6 Jesus answered him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one goes to the Father except by me.7 Now that you have known me,” he said to them, “you will know my Father also, and from now on you do know him and you have seen him.”
8 Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father; that is all we need.”
I listened as my friend spoke the truth about her life including pain, loneliness and unforgiveness, as well as her meeting Jesus only months ago. She proclaimed the huge change that is taking place in her heart because of Jesus. How healing and love, forgiveness and hope are replacing those previous feelings of brokenness. I sat there humbled as God brought to my memory many friends I’ve recently had the privilege of seeing God transforming for the best. 

Right after Jesus says to Philip (basically), “You know me! You’ve spent all this time with me.  You’ve seen me perform miracles, you’ve heard me speak only Truth, you’ve gone on this great journey with me and have experienced my love. You know me, therefore, you know God and have seen him!” Philip says, “Lord, show us God. Then we can know for sure.” I always read this and think, Seriously Philip? Were you listening at all?! Oh Philip, you’re so slow. Poor, silly Philip.
[Insert great big sigh] I am so much like Philip. I say it too, and often. “God! Show me God so that I can believe.”
As I listened to my friend, and as God reminded me of person after person after person I’ve gotten to watch meet Jesus, get to know him, and literally see God transforming them for the best, I was greatly humbled. “Open your eyes, Sydni,” He seemed to be saying.
God never stops working. When we miss him, it’s only because we aren’t looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment