Friday, April 12, 2013

Tap, tap, tap... (from January 22, 2010)

God is really tapping his foot at me today, or at least I just decided to acknowledge it today. 

Have you ever sat at home during the week with the T.V. going and noticed the college commercials that come on? “What are you waiting for? Don’t wait another day,” they say, “call now and get your career started today.” Do you believe God can speak to you through a commercial? Well, I guess He did for me.

God has asked Nick and I to relocate, to “go and make disciples” in England (Matt. 28:19), but even before this, He has asked us to live in Springfield and raise our support.  For some reason, probably to make it easier on myself, I was separating the two.  I thought, ‘right now, I need to focus on raising the support we need to get to England as quick as possible, so that we may begin to “make disciples” of Christ in England.‘  All the while, God has been tapping His foot and waiting for me to remember that He commanded me to “go and make disciples” when I chose to follow Him.  His command doesn’t change depending on what I’m doing at the time.  It was the same when I was working at a coffee shop in Kansas City just like it was the same in an accounting department here in Springfield.  If I claim to be a Christ follower, I must acknowledge his commandment to me.  Jesus orders his followers to, “Go and make disciples...” He didn’t say that at certain times of transition to stop and concentrate on other things instead, and he didn’t say go when you’re ready or when you feel fully qualified, but simply go.

I don’t feel very awesome about admitting my neglect of this very important command, but in writing about it, I’m hoping to really challenge myself and even you to remember His commands always.

So, no matter where we are or what our current “job” is, His command is the very same.

No comments:

Post a Comment